**Wedding Wednesday is a feature on my blog documenting our wedding planning process – thoughts, reflections, ideas, milestones. Follow along as we plan a wedding in our home city of Cincinnati while we live in Denver.
Long time no wedding post!
That’s because… well, we’ve been having too much fun doing other things to worry about planning a wedding! So it’s been a bit slow on the wedding front. However, we did recently cross a bit ‘to do’ off our list – we started to register! Talk of bridal showers lit a fire under my butt to get thinking.
I know registering is supposed to be a super fun part of wedding planning but, for me and Alex, we’ve struggled with it! To be honest, it’s been hard to register because for our small apartment, we have most everything we need - when Alex moved in 6 months ago, he brought with him many of the kitchen/bath/bed stuff I was lacking – and we don’t plan to move for a while.
And truthfully, we aren’t big ‘gift people’ – this isn’t to say we don’t appreciate a gift we receive but for us, the gifts aren’t the highlight of this whole experience. For us, it’s the start of our lives together, it’s the time spent with our families and friends. It’s the love. As corny as that sounds, it’s true! To have a great day, laugh and dance with my (soon-to-be) husband, family and friends I love so much is the only thing I want for our wedding. But at the same time, I know wedding guests want to give a gift so it’s better for us to register and select gifts that we’d prefer to receive so those who want to give a gift can and know that it’s something we’ll use and love.
So! Back to registering. For a while, I’d been stressing about what we’d register for but recently had an epiphany: We don’t have to register for traditional kitchen/bath stuff – we can register for gifts that suit our lifestyle as well as our home! So I thought I’d share some less-traditional registry ideas that we’ve considered.
- Donation to charity. I hadn’t considered this as a registry idea until I browsed wedding websites for registry tips/ideas. If there’s a favorite charity you’d like to donate to, this is a great option in lieu of gifts. We’re opting to support our charities in another way during our reception but that’s another post.
- Honeymoon/house fund. I love both of these options – our family and friends can give us money to use towards our honeymoon or to put a down payment on a home. Alex and I are paying for our wedding ourselves so a honeymoon fund would be a great way to splurge a little on our honeymoon and celebrate. There are websites set up to help facilitate this: HoneyFund or HatchMyHouse. (TIP: be sure to look into additional fees that the website might charge)
- Sporting good/lifestyle stores. Registering for an outdoor/sporting goods store makes a lot of sense for us - we love hiking, camping, skiing and all things outdoors so gifts that help us explore the playground that is Colorado is right up our alley. And the store we’re looking at, REI, has an online registry makes it easy for our guests to select items for us without being in the store.
- Amazon. Amazon does everything, doesn’t it? Amazon has a Wish List feature that acts as a registry – anything that you can buy on Amazon can be put on the Wish List. My family (hi Dad!) likes to use the Wish List for Christmas gift shopping.
- Wine Registry. Woohoo! Found at WineEnthusiast. This would be so fun! But, unfortunately, wine is not a shared love between us. However, if there was a beer homebrewing or beer of the month type registry…
What did we decide to do?
We’re started registries at a few national stores with online registry options and are still looking into the honeymoon/house fund. I’ve also decided to post our registries on our wedding website so guests can easily find links to our requests.